Eating Miami inside out!

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Hanukkah's Sufganiyot

With over 10,000 Israelis, and even more Jewish people from Latin America, Eastern Europe, and elsewhere bringing the total Jewish population to well over 500,000 in South Florida (according to Shalom South Florida), Hanukkah is an important holiday that must be observed alongside Christmas.

While I'm not Jewish myself, I've been blessed to find a reason to look forward to the Jewish Festival of Lights - and that reason is sufganiyot! (singular: sufganiyah)


Sufganiyah from Jerusalem Pizza

What are sufganiyot? I had no idea until just two days ago even though I've always had Jewish friends while growing up. Some people have described them to be "Hanukkah donuts" but while many I've tried did taste like donuts, the best tasting one I've had actually tasted more like the New Orleans' beignets, but with a fantastic strawberry jam filling. The airy texture of the dough tasted like what I would imagine sweet heaven to be!

One thing that struck me was that this is only available during Hanukkah - and it did not seem to have any religious decoration or any of the sort that would commemorate Hanukkah on it. It seems so opposite of what we would do for Christmas - with our Christmas tree cookies and all. But then, I was explained by a friend of mine, there was a religious connotation after all - they're fried. Hanukkah is apparently about oil (specifically about how there was enough olive oil for one day to burn for light, but it burned for eight days instead). Because of the reverence to oil, fried foods such as latkes and sufganiyot are popular during this holiday season among the Jews.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about the simple preparation for sufganiyot:
The sufganiya was originally prepared as two pieces of dough surrounding a jam filling, which was then fried together. Today, balls of dough are deep-fried separately and then injected with a filling through the use of special injector machines. (Source: Wikipedia)



Sufganiyot in Sarah's Tent

They're available only during days leading up to and during Hanukkah. This year, that meant sufganiyot are extremely popular for the eight-day holiday from December 4th to December 12th. You would not be able to find them any other time of the year (unless if you sneakingly make them in your own home, which I definitely would not hesitate doing)!

Looking for it was not easy, but I can tell you where the best sufganiyot I've had in Miami, so far. I've gone around the Jewish enclave in North Miami Beach and Aventura and stopped by several supermarkets and a restaurant. I went to several Kosher establishments: Amazing Savings Kosher Supermarket, The Kosher World, Jerusalem Pizza, La Chocolatier, Abraham's Bakery all in North Miami Beach; and Sarah's Tent (the supermarket, not the restaurant) in Aventura. Surprisingly, I found only three places having sufganiyot during all my one-day travel in the area, and they were at Jerusalem Pizza ($1.50 each), The Kosher World ($1.00 each), and Sarah's Tent ($1.25 each).


Might be hard to spot, but can you see the sufganiyot here in The Kosher World?

And I've tried the ones from Jerusalem Pizza and Sarah's Tent. The Kosher World looked much like that of the Jerusalem Pizza, so I bypassed it - and I'm hoping that wasn't a mistake! The sufganiyah at Jerusalem Pizza tasted like a donut with an okay jam filling (imagine Dunkin' Donuts). I hope you understand... a Dunkin' Donut quality donut for $1.50 each? My optimism was unfortunately low. Later, I convinced myself to try one from Sarah's Tent simply because it *looked* so much nicer. And rightly so, it tasted so much better! Like a beignet with a richer filling - and believe me - if you haven't had one from Sarah's Tent, I am doubtful that you had a good one at all! In the end, after I had a bite of the sufganiyah from Sarah's Tent, I knew my trip had not been in vain, and I saw Hanukkah in a whole new bright light.

Okay... one more last look at the wonderful sufganiyot sitting serenely on a pan blanked by "snow."


The "finished" sufganiyot in Sarah's Tent.

Okay, wrapping up... and feel free to let me know where you love to get your sufganiyot! 'Til next year, and I'll be ready - and hopefully you will be too!

Jerusalem Pizza
761 NE 167th St
North Miami Beach, FL 33162
(305) 653-6662

The Kosher World
1672 NE 164th St
North Miami Beach, FL 33162
(305) 944-7726

Sarah's Tent
3565 NE 207th St
Aventura, FL 33180
(305) 933-2888

And as a bonus, the recipe for sufganiyot came out in the Miami Herald a few weeks ago. Here it follows:

Sufganiyot
(recipe makes 14 servings)
Vanilla sugar should be made a week or two ahead if possible: Place 2 cups sugar into a jar or bag with tight seal. Split 1 whole vanilla bean lengthwise and submerge in sugar. Seal and set aside so flavors can blend.
  • 2 1/2 cups self-rising flower
  • 2 (8-ounce) cartons vanilla low-fat yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 cups refined olive oil (pure or light)
  • 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1 cup seedless strawberry jelly
  1. Place flour, yogurt, vanilla sugar and eggs in a large bowl. Knead until ingredients are combined and a sticky, doughy batter is formed. Cover with a kitchen towel and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes.
  2. Heat oil in a 6-quart stockpot, covered, over medium heat. When dough is ready, uncover oil and raise heat to high.
  3. Scoop out a tablespoonful of batter and drop in oil. Don't make the donuts too big, so they can cook through. You should be able to fry about 7 donuts at a time.
  4. Using a slotted spoon, turn donuts when halfway browned, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Fry for another 2 to 3 minutes or until entire donut is deep golden brown and cooked through. Remove with slotted spoon or tongs and let cool on paper towel-lined plates. Repeat with remaining batter.
  5. Fill a squeeze bottle with jelly and inject a little into each donut. Roll them in confectioners' sugar or shake, 3 donuts at a time, in a paper bag filled with confectioners' sugar.

No comments: